January 25, 2012

Daffodils In January?

We have been having Spring-like weather here in Alabama
and the plants have responded accordingly.
The daffodils and other normally Springtime blooming
plants have started to sprout in January!

This is a mass planting of daffodils beside our neighborhood pond.








These daffodils got a little beat down by the heavy rains we had a couple of days ago.
There was a tornado just north of us that did heavy damage to a small community and killed two people.
Springtime temperatures bring Springtime weather too.  Last April, over 200 people were killed in
tornadoes that struck North Alabama.

The Carolina Jasmine along my fence has started to bloom also.

These buds will probably be blooms in a day or two.


Baby buds with old leaves

The jasmine is full of tiny yellow buds.




These dried jasmine seed pods remind me of baby birds in
a nest with their beaks open waiting for momma bird
to bring them their next meal.

The Bridal Wreath Spirea has started to sprout new leaves.



A nearby garden center had these potted daffodils blooming too.
I'm not sure I'm ready for Spring decorating yet
(wasn't Christmas just over?) but I had to bring these
home after seeing the ones in bloom by the pond.





We will probably have some nights that go below freezing
before it actually IS Spring...I hope all the new growth
coming out now can live through it!

I'm sharing this post over at
Open House Party @ No Minimalist Here
Weekend Wrap Up Party @ Tatertots and Jello
Potpurri Friday @ 2805
Inspiration Friday @ At the Picket Fence
Anything Goes @ Type A Decorating




16 comments

  1. I can't imagine daffs in January! Although, I'm in Ontario and I think I see some green on the rose bushes. That could spell trouble when the real winter hits! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nature is so confused. The photos are beautiful. The weather here in Illinois has been unseasonably mild most of the winter. We had almost 10 inches of snow, then it rained, and we're expecting 44 degrees tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing photographs! Hard to believe that they are blooming, such a brilliant yellow! What a beautiful pond. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. pretty crazy?1
    It has been rainy here in central pa..raining, instead of snowing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how beautiful! We have nothing growing in the Midwest this time of year except icicles! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. I took some pictures yesterday of daffodils and quince blooming in our yard. It has been unseasonably warm here in South Carolina, too. Today it was 75 degrees! I'm not complaining, but I worry about the buds getting damaged when it turns cold again. By the way, those daffodils in your house are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm East of you, in Georgia, and we're having an incredibly mild winter. I have hyacinths blooming! I love, love, love your chest with the daffodils. It's not too early to bring the Spring time to life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hasn't it been a winter of strange weather. Your photos are gorgeous!

    Loulou Downtown

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bulbs are coming up in our yard in Virginia! We have had a very mild winter and today it is 70degrees. Thanks for linking to the Open House party. Hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness me that was quick! I just barely posted that on TTJ. Well thanks for the comment that made my night! I can't believe ya'll have daffodils all ready! I live in Utah and it most definitely has been a strange winter! '
    XOXO
    Andrea

    oh p.s. I am having a giveaway if you want to come check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Daffodils in January!!!How very lovely! Everything is still pretty snug in their beds though a few people have said the tree buds have started to swell. That's way too early for us in Colorado!

    Thank you for the bit of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've had the same thing going on in GA, love your photos!
    debbie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was thrilled to see "buttercups" as we call them in the country, glowing in the sunshine last week. I've seen pops of yellow from dandelions too. Spring is a ways off, but they're a welcome sight.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many beautiful signs of spring with daffodils/buttercups being one of my fondest memories! Thanks for sharing these lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. He descubierto tu blog y me ha encantado su contenido. Desde hoy lo sigo, si lo deseas te invito a conocer mi blog y si es de tu agrado, me gustarĂ­a tenerte como seguidora en mi blog para seguir en contacto. Un saludo muy cordial.
    Manoli.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It really is nuts! I am in NY and our flowers are popping too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to comment on my blog!

© Miss Kopy Kat. Design by FCD.